Monday, June 18, 2012

FIT Exhibits!


Thursday, I visited the museum at FIT. I have seen previous exhibits that FIT put on so I knew that the exhibit would be fantastic, like always!

            I was surprised when I found out that FIT had two additional exhibits on display as well as the main one.

            The main exhibit was titled Fashion A-Z “Highlights from the Collection of the Museum at FIT Part 2”. 

Oscar de la Renta for Balmain,
evening dress in silk embroidered organza,
 spring 2002, France
The museum’s collection contains more than 50,0000 garments and 30,000 textiles from the 18th century to the present day (I was stunned by those numbers). The first part of this exhibit was on from November 2011-May 2012.  The display is in alphabetical order, (hence the title); this is different than how the displays at FIT are usually display, which is normally chronologically.  I also learned that their will be a book to accompany the exhibit, it will be available in Fall 2012.


The book will have more than 500 pictures of FIT’s collection! This book will for sure be a need to have item for any fashion fan. I am so excited to get my hands on a copy.


Needless to say the exhibit was phenomenal. The history that surrounds you in the exhibit is mind blowing! Each garment is so special and each with indescribable details, it is hard to put into words.


I took my time in the exhibit and gained inspiration as well as appreciation from each piece.

The Fight to Flee the Fire,
Min Suk Choi, 2012, mixed media.
There were garments from Balmain by Oscar de la Renta, Burberry, Diane Von Furstenberg, Yves Saint Laurent for Christian Dior, Alexander McQueen, Valintino, and many many more designers.

The Illustration program at FIT put on the second exhibit that I went into and it was titled The Triangle Factory Fire: Then, Since, Now. It examined the event, it’s history and impact on the fashion industry and the workplace today. 26 different artists were showcased and each used different types of media to express their individual interruption of the tragedy. The exhibit was moving and beautiful.

The final exhibit I viewed was a Barbie exhibit in the school’s main lobby. It showcased the winning work from students in Fashion Design, Interior Design, Jewelry Design, Photography, and Visual Presentation & Exhibition Design. The students were told to create different products for Barbie and Ken out of unconventional materials. The exhibit was so fun!!! I felt like I was in a Barbie house! All of the student work was amazing!


All three exhibits are definitely must-sees!

-Fashion A-Z is on display till November 10th 2012.
-The Triangle Factory exhibit is on display till July 7th 2012.
-The Barbie display will be on display through September. 

-Dani 

No comments:

Post a Comment