With this wintry weather comes a whole host of goodies to try and ease the pain of the bitter cold, things like hot cocoa, crackling fires, and woolly puppy sweaters, but nothing defines the season like the bundled up, hyper-layered looks that can be found on this city's streets.
- Wear tights to extend the life of your closet.
- An alternative to the military-inspired wool trench coats of last fall is the quilted hunting jacket.
- Toughen up the school girl look made popular by hit series Gossip Girl with serious navy layers. Hey, Blair Waldorf would approve.
- The quickest way to spruce up your winter coat is with jewel-tone scarf.
- Be fashion-forward with your prints. Springs prints are pushing the fashionable envelope; paired with killer knee-high heeled boots, you won't go unrecognized.
- Channel Little Red Riding Hood. No one will be able to miss you in a tailored wool coat with a fire-engine red lining.
- Cuten-up your afternoon errands with a demure houndstooth coat and comfy on-the-go shoes.
- Belt-up your favorite tailored, a-line jacket, and you'll be the belle no matter what the weather.
- Look snugly cute in a fuzzy wool knit cap, and feel romantic even when it's freezing out.
- Play with texture to spiff up a closet full of dark, drab colors -- just remember to keep everything in the same color family to avoid the crazy lady look.
- Rule in Red. Use extra details, like tulip sleeves or a bow at the collar, and you'll be the cherry on top of a perfect winter day!
- Incorporate color into your look. When the weather gets you down, add a pop of color to your outfit, and instantly put a smile back on your face.
- Borrow from the boys. Sometimes menswear can be the sexiest look... on a woman. Balance out the tomboy in you with a ladylike handbag.
- On the prowl. Been flirting with the ideal of adding an animal print to your outfit? Go ahead. Take a walk on the wild side.
- Leather riding boots are a fabulous alternative to your rain boots, especially when there's some dark denim jeans tucked inside.